Skip to main content

Alice

Yesterday's blog prompt on women's family history is to tell if you are named for some ancestor in your family. You can tell how awesome I am at keeping up with these. I am not named for an ancestor, but my daughter is.

Ask my son and he will tell you the story of his name, how there are many many Daniel's and Daniels on our family tree. He had me print out a family tree so he could circle them all. While he was doing that he ran to his sister and showed her all the Alice's that he could find. In my 8 generations there are about 5. Obviously that's give or take since I am not going to count sisters, daughters that I am unaware of, etc. But Alice is definitely a family name.

Alice was destined to be Ruby. I met Ruby and David Haight at a missionary homecoming in Burley, ID many years ago. Since I met them I have loved the name Ruby. While Alice was being bathed and monitored my husband decided that Ruby should not be her name, we decided on Alice. Daniel (our oldest) had been calling her Alice for awhile so we just tell him that he named the baby.

I have 2 Alice's that have meant a lot in my life. One is my aunt, my mother's sister. She was our family genealogist and passed away the first year my husband and I were married. She was always super nice to me and I loved going to her house out in the middle of no where Idaho. She would tell me stories about my mom as a kid, and about my grandma and grandpa. I loved hearing her rattle on about all the family research she was doing and wish I would have paid more attention to what she told me. When she passed away it was the first time I really felt the sadness of missing out on all the information that died with her. I am glad I got to spend many a snowy nights with my Aunt Alice. Sometimes when I am researching a family name I can remember her telling me about that person or place. To me I remember her as being gentle and calm, I hope my daughter grows up to be like that.

The other Alice I have not met in this life. She was my great grandmother. Her name was Alice Mercy Marshall Maycock, or Mercy Alice, or even Mary, depending on what record you find. She was an amazing woman from what we gather. She lived a life of service even though she was never in fantastic health herself. She came to the Maycock farm to help my great great grandmother and it was there that she met and married John Maycock. John left on a mission shortly after they were married, in his journal he records at least weekly that he received a letter from his Wife. They ran a dairy farm and were very active in their community. She had two little boys and passed away when both of them were very young. She fell during the winter and never fully recovered, and then passed away in the summer of 1910. My grandpa had very few memories of his mother. We were lucky enough this last year to retrieve a copy of her history that a loving cousin had written after her death. I am forever grateful for that, almost everything we know about Alice comes from that history.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Whale Watching in San Francisco

My sister and her family came all the way from Idaho to visit us. Naturally we had to take them to the Golden Gate Bridge. It was a typical July day, foggy, freezing, windy and crowded. We battled people on bikes and with strollers and the wind to walk onto the bridge. We had just made it to the first tower when we noticed a whale watching tour boat and joked about how cool it would be if there was suddenly a whale that came out of the water. About ten seconds later, A WHALE CAME OUT OF THE WATER! It didn't ever do the complete National Geographic flip over or show it's tail, but there was a Humpback Whale feeding, and it kept coming up to eat. It was amazing. AMAZING. We spent almost 40 minutes watching the whale, possibly whales at the time. There was one in particular that came over, right below us the kids could all see it, and it was so close we could see the barnacles on the mouth, and it rolled and was putting on quite the show for us. It was an amazing sigh...

in case you have not heard

Baby Webb #3 is on the way. Here the baby is. We are going to try to be strong and not find out the sex at the ultra sound. So if you have an opinion, about the sex, feel free to share it. I am sure Jason will put a vote up. So far he wants names like "gunner" and "ruby." I told him Gunner might not go so well with Alice and Daniel, but who am I to stop an opinion? Oh wait. I was sick off and on for a few weeks but feel pretty good now. This is the baby at 10 weeks. We are about 13.5 weeks today. Due the end of February. I guess if we are lucky it could be a leap day baby. Daniel saw the baby in the ultra sound and was totally not surprised. His comment was "is that the baby I knew was growing in your tummy?" Alice was disturbed and cried and didn't eat for about two days. Then Daniel reminded me of a few months ago when he heard a voice from heaven telling him we needed another baby. He told me that "heavenly father w...

Nothing like people to ruin your day.

Alright so last week we found out that our condo was put up for sale. Jason looked up the sales price, quickly realized that is was pretty low and we feared for the type of people that would be coming through to view our condo, we were right to fear. Usually I am pretty easy going and try to be accommodating but somethings are unbelievable. So these people put in an offer on our home and then the husband wanted to come check it out so their agent and our agent agreed on a time. We thought, okay they'll be here what like a half hour? So Jason and Daniel went to look at homes for us and I stayed here to watch the show. The husband proceeded to test each outlet to see if it was hot, then he was looking in the attic space, then messing with the fuses and air conditioning. He was the first to show up so we thought, ok, this is going to be alright. Ten to fifteen minutes later someone else knocked on the door. There is this lady with three kids and a pizza box. She mumbled some...