Skip to main content

Top Three reasons why NOT to travel with children who you can't reason with yet.


Well we made it back from Hawaii and Jason and I decided we would write down all the things we hated about our trip so we would remember not to be talked into another one anytime soon. Like in the next ten years. Before we left I thought taking Daniel to a restaurant was a bad experience, now I know it is nothing like flying. So here are some of my reasons:

1. I bet before 9/11 it wasn't so bad, but security at the airport takes four years to get through when you travel with a kid. So it went something like this. We travel with a cpap machine, laptop, video camera, baby stuff and a tired cranky baby. You have to strip everything off, belts, shoes, the binky and any other security item that your kid has and walk through the security thing. Jason always has to go with his Cpap machine so I was left with Daniel and the eights bins of stuff to put back, trying to get me and Daniel redressed and had to move all the carry ons. It was insane. The first time through in SLC when they took Daniel's book you would have thought they gave him a shot, he screamed and tried to fling himself onto the xray machine. This was my least favorite thing.

2. Daniel does not sleep on planes very well. He did not sleep on the way to LA. From LA to Hawaii he slept for 45 minutes which left us with five more hours of entertaining Daniel on the plane. He did well as in he didn't scream like all the other kids but he is wiggly and being pregnant I did not appreciate his wiggles. Jason agrees that this is the absolute worst thing about Daniel, he just could not sit still. He had to see everything and touch everything and try to eat the food that was on other people's trays. We were glad he didn't scream but his wiggles were enough to kill us. Lucky for us he slept for two hours on the way back from Hawaii and on the whole flight from LA to SLC.

3. The last one I will do (I think I could go on for hours) is that Daniel is too young to be reasoned with. We could not explain to him why we couldn't go touch the airplanes while we waited in the airport. He didn't understand why they had to run his binky through the xray machine to check for dangerous and hazardous items. And most of all he did not understand why his parents did not insist that Papa buy him his own seat on the way to and from Hawaii.

For these reasons and about a thousand more I would never travel with a toddler on an airplane if it was more than a two hour flight. The stress and the time it takes to fly anywhere, including airport time, is too much for me. Daniel had a fantastic time on our trip and Jason and I came home more exhausted than we have ever been. Daniel could not understand when he woke up on Sunday morning where the ocean had gone but I think he is figuring it out that Utah has mountains and Hawaii has waves and fish.

Comments

Josie said…
Oh Mel! I just have to laugh! I have never flown with my kids, a 5 hour ride in the car is hard enough! That is sad that the security is so extreme with the babies. Poor kid. Madi would scream if some stranger took her book (or whatever it is at the moment) away from her too. Sad. Hope you had a fun trip though. Let's see some Hawaii pics!
Megan said…
I am glad our only flight with Anna was only 2 hours - definitely doable. But I agree that going through security was by far the worst. Anna screamed when they took her stuff too. Sorry that all of it was so stressful. Hopefully you can relax a little now that you are home. I am excited to see more pictures of your trip and Anna will be happy Daniel will be in nursery. She was sad he wasn't there yesterday.
Amy Jo said…
I am a little worried about flying to New Zealand with Jackson in March. He will barely be 1. The flight is about 18 hours but I will have 3 other people to help me on the flight. I am glad that Hawaii was fun to bad the flight is so long.
Cynthia said…
I agree. I have flown by myself with a 5 year old and an almost 2 yearold. Not fun! I would rather drive cross country than fly.

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday School Lesson on The Revelation

I teach Gospel Doctrine, or basically a bible study class at my church. It is one of my favorite things to do. This week I went a little insane and ended up doing a lot of prep work and just wanted to share it. We always run out of time to study the Book of Revelation in the New Testament, because it comes at the end, and always around Christmas time and everyone does Christmas lessons instead. This year I decided to battle the beast (pun intended) and taught a crash course in Revelation in 35 minutes or less. Obviously I had way more than material than we got to go through. Half of these handouts came from BYU Studies website, which is an amazing source of information if you are looking at a deeper view of your scripture reading. Another help was the Ensign come follow me article this month by Nicholas Frederick. Handouts There's a lot more info that's in my class notes if you would like that as well. Class Notes

Whale Watching in San Francisco

My sister and her family came all the way from Idaho to visit us. Naturally we had to take them to the Golden Gate Bridge. It was a typical July day, foggy, freezing, windy and crowded. We battled people on bikes and with strollers and the wind to walk onto the bridge. We had just made it to the first tower when we noticed a whale watching tour boat and joked about how cool it would be if there was suddenly a whale that came out of the water. About ten seconds later, A WHALE CAME OUT OF THE WATER! It didn't ever do the complete National Geographic flip over or show it's tail, but there was a Humpback Whale feeding, and it kept coming up to eat. It was amazing. AMAZING. We spent almost 40 minutes watching the whale, possibly whales at the time. There was one in particular that came over, right below us the kids could all see it, and it was so close we could see the barnacles on the mouth, and it rolled and was putting on quite the show for us. It was an amazing sigh

Sewing Quilts with Daniel

Daniel is not one to sit still very often at all. My parents say that he is totally my son and that I drove my mom crazy too but frankly I can't remember that far back. There is one thing that Daniel loves to help me with, and that is sewing. He loves the machine and loves to sit in my lap as we sew anything. Sometimes I think about just sewing straight lines down my endless supply of fabric because I know he will sit still for awhile. A few months ago I had a good friend show me how to make rag quilts. The first one that Daniel and I sewed together was for my niece Abigale. Then of course I had to make one for my nephew Joshua. Then I decided to make one for Daniel. I was going to make a transportation one, full of trucks and planes and boats, but when I took him to the fabric store, much to my surprise and delight he chose dragons over the airplanes. So we started his quilt last week. He sat on my lap or next to me while we sewed every piece together. He was so excited