Skip to main content

Yellowstone

My family goes to Yellowstone every other year. I love going. I love almost everything about Yellowstone, the animals, the geological features, staying in the cabins, and of course watching my kids have a good time. Here are a few of the highlights of our trip.

As many of you know, Jason has been having a hard time walking for about 3 years. While super annoying to him, it also has been hard on the kids. Most notably Alice. We pulled up to our first hike, the Norris Paint Pots and Alice proceeded to cry for about 20 minutes because she was too tired to walk. About the time she started being ok about walking (and after about 20 people on the trail tried to help us with her), Charlie ripped off his shoes and threw them into the hot springs. I was able to grab one but the other shoe was no where to be seen. I was mortified, not that I had a horrible child, but because I was so afraid Charlie's shoe was going to ruin the hot springs. Kids.


Here is us at Lower Falls or maybe Upper Falls in the Canyon area of Yellowstone. My family usually stays in the cabins in this area as well. It is great because it is so central to our favorite things to visit.


Our trip was so fun, we saw the wolves, a fox, bison, elk, deer, pronghorn, black bears, baby black bears, birds and a ton of beautiful wildflowers. I would try to find more pictures but there are still so many to go through. Alice threw many more fits but she still managed to hike a few miles on her own. Charlie did not throw anything else into anywhere inappropriate. Daniel was awesome until our last two days and then was so tired he just cried. All in all, success of a trip.

Also we went on the Stagecoach ride which was pretty fun. It was a little shorter than I thought it would be but it is on the original road that the stagecoaches have always used. The kids thought it was fun and that was the best part.

Comments

Natalie Ockey said…
I just posted about Yellowstone too. It was SOOOO much fun. Thanks for going with us and coming to the Tetons, too. Can't wait for our next trip.

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday School Lesson on The Revelation

I teach Gospel Doctrine, or basically a bible study class at my church. It is one of my favorite things to do. This week I went a little insane and ended up doing a lot of prep work and just wanted to share it. We always run out of time to study the Book of Revelation in the New Testament, because it comes at the end, and always around Christmas time and everyone does Christmas lessons instead. This year I decided to battle the beast (pun intended) and taught a crash course in Revelation in 35 minutes or less. Obviously I had way more than material than we got to go through. Half of these handouts came from BYU Studies website, which is an amazing source of information if you are looking at a deeper view of your scripture reading. Another help was the Ensign come follow me article this month by Nicholas Frederick. Handouts There's a lot more info that's in my class notes if you would like that as well. Class Notes

Whale Watching in San Francisco

My sister and her family came all the way from Idaho to visit us. Naturally we had to take them to the Golden Gate Bridge. It was a typical July day, foggy, freezing, windy and crowded. We battled people on bikes and with strollers and the wind to walk onto the bridge. We had just made it to the first tower when we noticed a whale watching tour boat and joked about how cool it would be if there was suddenly a whale that came out of the water. About ten seconds later, A WHALE CAME OUT OF THE WATER! It didn't ever do the complete National Geographic flip over or show it's tail, but there was a Humpback Whale feeding, and it kept coming up to eat. It was amazing. AMAZING. We spent almost 40 minutes watching the whale, possibly whales at the time. There was one in particular that came over, right below us the kids could all see it, and it was so close we could see the barnacles on the mouth, and it rolled and was putting on quite the show for us. It was an amazing sigh

Sewing Quilts with Daniel

Daniel is not one to sit still very often at all. My parents say that he is totally my son and that I drove my mom crazy too but frankly I can't remember that far back. There is one thing that Daniel loves to help me with, and that is sewing. He loves the machine and loves to sit in my lap as we sew anything. Sometimes I think about just sewing straight lines down my endless supply of fabric because I know he will sit still for awhile. A few months ago I had a good friend show me how to make rag quilts. The first one that Daniel and I sewed together was for my niece Abigale. Then of course I had to make one for my nephew Joshua. Then I decided to make one for Daniel. I was going to make a transportation one, full of trucks and planes and boats, but when I took him to the fabric store, much to my surprise and delight he chose dragons over the airplanes. So we started his quilt last week. He sat on my lap or next to me while we sewed every piece together. He was so excited