Skip to main content

The Arrival of Alice





Wednesday April 15, I woke up around 5am with some light contractions. I thought, oh this will be easy. By 8am we had called my sister and told her to come over to watch Daniel but to take her time, no big deal. 8:17am I told Jason to go get a neighbor because we needed to go to the hospital NOW! So we were ready to leave by about 8:45 and of course it took awhile to get there. Jason was awesome and yanked the car off the road every time I had a contraction which was like every three or four minutes and by the time we got to the hospital, it was just not fun. But we were glad we got there when we did because Alice basically came like this:
9:15 actually made it up to labor and delivery
9:45 checked in and moved to a room and promised an epidural as soon as the anesthesiologist was done with the three other women all trying to escape pain like me
10:30 am was feeling much better after the epidural finally kicked in. We started to get comfy thinking we would be there awhile
11am they started preparing the room for the baby to come
11:44 am Alice came out face up and with green stuff in her hair so it was about seven or eight minutes until I got to see her and then another few hours before I got to spend time with the baby.

Daniel is adjusting alright. He gets upset when Alice won't stop shrieking but other than that seems to like her. I am just trying to adjust and convince myself that the first month is the hardest. Alice prefers to be awake from 3 am to 6 am which makes my days really oddly timed out. Jason has been a huge and wonderful help at night which is making life bearable. Daniel is also convinced that every time I nurse Alice that he gets to watch TV. He also will sit down next to her and list off all the things he can't touch. "Don't touch her nose, don't touch her mouth, don't touch her eyes, don't touch her eyebrows. Touch her like this not this." It is really funny to watch.

Comments

Sarah Kay said…
She's here! I'm so happy for you, but can see that it's a lot of work. The snuggles make it worth it, no?

Love ya tons -S
Beth and Poasa said…
What a little angel! Congrats you guys! That was a very short labor! Thank goodness you got the epidural in time. She is beautiful.
Cynthia said…
Congratulations! She is adorable.
Marie said…
What a cutie! I can't wait to see her! I will be in Lehi next week, I'll give you a call. Good luck with the sleeping thing. Yikes! I bet Daniel is a good big brother!
idaho amy said…
Congratulations!!!! Alice looks so sweet!:) That is fun that both you and Natalie have had babies so close together--lots of fun cousin moments to look forward to!

Amy, Tyler, and family
Josie said…
Mel, she is so sweet! Congratulations! Good luck with all the adjusting and all that fun stuff. Once you can get her to sleep on a good schedule, you'll be great!

Popular posts from this blog

Whale Watching in San Francisco

My sister and her family came all the way from Idaho to visit us. Naturally we had to take them to the Golden Gate Bridge. It was a typical July day, foggy, freezing, windy and crowded. We battled people on bikes and with strollers and the wind to walk onto the bridge. We had just made it to the first tower when we noticed a whale watching tour boat and joked about how cool it would be if there was suddenly a whale that came out of the water. About ten seconds later, A WHALE CAME OUT OF THE WATER! It didn't ever do the complete National Geographic flip over or show it's tail, but there was a Humpback Whale feeding, and it kept coming up to eat. It was amazing. AMAZING. We spent almost 40 minutes watching the whale, possibly whales at the time. There was one in particular that came over, right below us the kids could all see it, and it was so close we could see the barnacles on the mouth, and it rolled and was putting on quite the show for us. It was an amazing sigh...

Nothing like people to ruin your day.

Alright so last week we found out that our condo was put up for sale. Jason looked up the sales price, quickly realized that is was pretty low and we feared for the type of people that would be coming through to view our condo, we were right to fear. Usually I am pretty easy going and try to be accommodating but somethings are unbelievable. So these people put in an offer on our home and then the husband wanted to come check it out so their agent and our agent agreed on a time. We thought, okay they'll be here what like a half hour? So Jason and Daniel went to look at homes for us and I stayed here to watch the show. The husband proceeded to test each outlet to see if it was hot, then he was looking in the attic space, then messing with the fuses and air conditioning. He was the first to show up so we thought, ok, this is going to be alright. Ten to fifteen minutes later someone else knocked on the door. There is this lady with three kids and a pizza box. She mumbled some...

in case you have not heard

Baby Webb #3 is on the way. Here the baby is. We are going to try to be strong and not find out the sex at the ultra sound. So if you have an opinion, about the sex, feel free to share it. I am sure Jason will put a vote up. So far he wants names like "gunner" and "ruby." I told him Gunner might not go so well with Alice and Daniel, but who am I to stop an opinion? Oh wait. I was sick off and on for a few weeks but feel pretty good now. This is the baby at 10 weeks. We are about 13.5 weeks today. Due the end of February. I guess if we are lucky it could be a leap day baby. Daniel saw the baby in the ultra sound and was totally not surprised. His comment was "is that the baby I knew was growing in your tummy?" Alice was disturbed and cried and didn't eat for about two days. Then Daniel reminded me of a few months ago when he heard a voice from heaven telling him we needed another baby. He told me that "heavenly father w...